vekless 2019년 12월 23일 오후 8시 15분
No steam games will launch on new computer
How do I get steam support for this?

I have steam installed on a brand new computer. No steam games will launch. Games out side of steam start fine. Steam games do the whole installing direct X stuff then either hang indefinitely or crash out. Each time they do this, attempt to install direct X or whatever then crash/hang.

I meet req's for any game:
MSI Infinite X +, I9 processor, 32GB mem, Nvidia 2080 RTX TI, plenty of drive space

I tried the whole ineffectual self-support route of updating software, drivers, checking anti-virus settings etc. to no avail. At no point was there a "Hey, it looks like you've tried everything, go ahead click here to get actual support"

I have no idea what to do now. I can't figure out how to actually contact steam with this problem. And I've reached the end of my ability to troubleshoot this.

EDIT, Solution:
detailed below.
...search for "Microsoft .NET Framework Repair Tool", download it directly from Microsoft and run that. That solved the problem.
vekless 님이 마지막으로 수정; 2019년 12월 24일 오전 12시 48분
< >
17개 댓글 중 1-15개 표시
Komrade 2019년 12월 23일 오후 8시 21분 
Which anti-virus do you use? Also, I would consider returning the PC and building your own, it's cheaper, easy to do, and you get higher quality parts.
vekless 2019년 12월 23일 오후 8시 29분 
I already went through virus settings other people (not steam, no specific instructions here, had to look elsewhere) suggest.

No, I'm not sending back my computer because just steam is incapable of launching games.
Komrade 2019년 12월 23일 오후 8시 30분 
vekless님이 먼저 게시:
I already went through virus settings other people (not steam, no specific instructions here, had to look elsewhere) suggest.

No, I'm not sending back my computer because just steam is incapable of launching games.
Which anti-virus do you have?
Dr.Shadowds 🐉 2019년 12월 23일 오후 8시 39분 
A) You didn't install your drivers that are needed to run the game.

B) You're using some kind of software that's conflicting with Steam. Such as AVG, Avest, Norton, or etc...

Drivers should be stored in the steamwork folder. Steam/Steamapp/common/Steam work.
Dr.Shadowds 🐉 님이 마지막으로 수정; 2019년 12월 23일 오후 8시 45분
Komrade 2019년 12월 23일 오후 8시 40분 
And I know MSI prebuilts sometimes ship with Norton installed too, if you have Norton, uninstall it. It's useless, and it's just bloatware.
vekless 2019년 12월 23일 오후 9시 00분 
First thing I did was uninstall Norton. Installed Kaspersky. All of Valve is set trusted for firewall application rules and application control settings.

I looked at the steamwork folder and all the drivers are the ones put there at the initial steam client install. The game launch I guess should be installing new drivers there but there's only the basic steam client installed ones, no new ones. The folder permission is set as read only. Is this normal? Does this need to change?
Komrade 2019년 12월 23일 오후 9시 02분 
vekless님이 먼저 게시:
First thing I did was uninstall Norton. Installed Kaspersky. All of Valve is set trusted for firewall application rules and application control settings.

I looked at the steamwork folder and all the drivers are the ones put there at the initial steam client install. The game launch I guess should be installing new drivers there but there's only the basic steam client installed ones, no new ones. The folder permission is set as read only. Is this normal? Does this need to change?
Good. Try reinstalling all Visual C++ drivers manually:

https://support.microsoft.com/en-ca/help/2977003/the-latest-supported-visual-c-downloads

All of them.
Komrade 님이 마지막으로 수정; 2019년 12월 23일 오후 9시 02분
Dr.Shadowds 🐉 2019년 12월 23일 오후 9시 04분 
Did you use Norton uninstaller? Norton pretty dumb because they have to use another app just to remove Norton which is a joke.

List me a me a game, and I tell what drivers you need to run it, and then you can check if you have them installed.
vekless 2019년 12월 23일 오후 9시 14분 
Wolfenstein Youngblood is one.
vekless 2019년 12월 23일 오후 9시 20분 
Grim Dawn also a no, Skyrim Spec. Edition no launch. I got tired of downloading games from my library just to see them not launch

Only one worked, Kingdom will launch and play probably because its lowres pixel and doesn't need new drivers.
Dr.Shadowds 🐉 2019년 12월 23일 오후 10시 19분 
vekless님이 먼저 게시:
Wolfenstein Youngblood is one.
Needs DirectX installed, and Microsoft Visual C++ 2015, or newer. Visual C++ 2015, 2017, and 2019 are basically doing the same thing, but the older versions such as 2013, and older do little something else. 2017 just replaces 2015, and 2019 just replaces 2017, so don't freak out if can't these three 2015, 2017, and 2019 installed together.

You can get most of the MVC++ from here. Above that christmaS listed you can get newest one, but it lacks 2005, so that why get it here to get all of them, and get the remaining what he link. Yes you want to install both 86x, and 64x versions of each one. 2005, 2008, 2010, 2012, 2013, 2017.
https://www.majorgeeks.com/files/details/visual_c_runtime_installer.html

If you're missing Microsoft .NET Framework you can get this here.
https://www.microsoft.com/en-ca/download/confirmation.aspx?id=42642

If you're missing Microsoft XNA Framework Redistributable 4.0, you can get it here.
https://www.microsoft.com/en-ca/download/details.aspx?id=20914

If you're missing Nvidia PhysX, you can get it here.
https://www.nvidia.com/en-us/drivers/physx/9_18_0907/physx-9-18-0907-driver/

For DirectX, just head to your Steamwork shared folder. Steam/Steamapp/common/Steamwork sharded
Run the DXSETUP.exe, and install, let it do it thing.

I have a question for you, just thinking here, do you by chance have your monitor connect to your motherboard, instead of your GPU? Because if it's connected to your motherboard, it's not going to be using your GPU, which would explain why some games can't launch, and you want to ensure you connect your cable from your mointor to your GPU only, not the mointor. Also is nvidia drivers installed?
https://i.imgur.com/G42CKIy.png
Dr.Shadowds 🐉 님이 마지막으로 수정; 2019년 12월 23일 오후 10시 23분
vekless 2019년 12월 23일 오후 10시 58분 
The weird thing with DXSETUP.exe I tried running that already and at the end it it errors out with "An internal system error occured" I've tried as admin and get the same thing. But I look at the log and it shows d3dx9_24 installed already, through d3dx9_29 installed already then xactengine2_0, x3daudio1_0 and d3dx9_30 installed already. I don't know if the error is from everything already being installed or something is failing.

The monitor is connected to the Nvidia card's display port connector. Nvidia drivers are installed and updated. G-sync is enabled on the display and card. Resolution is set to native and refresh to 100hz

I was playing steam's Grim Dawn on an HP spectre 13, not ideal with low performance, but it ran. Won't even start on this high-end pc.

I think I'm going to uninstall all games, uninstall steam then try a steam reinstall. I might use Revo to uninstall to make sure everything is clean and start from scratch.
Dr.Shadowds 🐉 2019년 12월 23일 오후 11시 13분 
Yea that not something you want to ignore for installing your DirectX, as that's needed to run your games.

One of these may fix your issue, let me know if it resolve your issue.

- Now not sure if Kaspersky still cause the issue as it used to in the past with DirectX, but if it does, what you want to do is turn Kaspersky off for abit, disable real time scanner, and etc, then run the DXSETUP.exe.

- Another one is reg cleaning, which I suggest getting CCleaner, what you do is do a reg scan, once finish, it will ask if you want to save backup, click yes, save that somewhere safe, click fix all, reboot PC, don't launch steam, disable Kaspersky, try again with the DXSETUP.exe.

- Also could try the repair option.
https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_10-hardware/how-do-i-unistallreinstall-directx-on-windows-10/f703b4ef-74e1-434e-8fce-1e84743301a6?auth=1

- The last option, least I don't really want to recommend at all, but it's up to you, best of luck.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8pNEqt4sZ1A
Dr.Shadowds 🐉 님이 마지막으로 수정; 2019년 12월 23일 오후 11시 21분
vekless 2019년 12월 23일 오후 11시 17분 
Ok, I just noticed that even the games I can get to launch, like I found 2013 Shadow Warrior will start, still show the steam initial setup splash screen and window's "allow this app to make changes to device" pops up each time. It shouldn't do that. So it looks like something's screwed up with steam's install and it's not doing the initial setup for each game right. Hopefully uninstalling and reinstalling will fix.
Dr.Shadowds 🐉 2019년 12월 23일 오후 11시 21분 
Alright, when you uninstall Steam, ensure the Steam folder is also delete as well, as you don't want any files left behind.
< >
17개 댓글 중 1-15개 표시
페이지당 표시 개수: 1530 50

게시된 날짜: 2019년 12월 23일 오후 8시 15분
게시글: 17